A small fire broke out early morning at the PMO on Tuesday but no one was injured as the firefighters controlled the situation within 20 minutes.
A small fire incident was reported at the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) in South Block in the wee hours on Tuesday morning. According to reports from The Times of India, the fire started at around 3:30 am on the second floor of the PMO in room number 242 in the Secretariat building. Alarmed by the blaze, the authorities called the fire control brigade and ten fire tenders were rushed to the spot immediately which took charge of the situation and controlled the fire within 20 minutes.
Notably, the South Block is home to the PMO as well as the offices of two significant ministries- External Affairs and Defence. It also houses the offices of the Cabinet Secretary, Foreign Secretary, and National Security Advisor.
According to The Indian Express, a similar fire had occurred last year at the South Block in a conference room on the upper ground floor of the PMO. As of now, no one has been injured in the accident and authorities are looking into the extent of damages caused by the fire. The Divisional Fire Officer has said the fire was the result of sparking in the UPS of a computer.
Well, the fire incident might be minor in nature but brings to fore the rising cases of fires in government buildings in New Delhi over the last few years. Recently, the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal office at the Lok Nayak Bhawan had caught fire and it seemed that a short circuit in the air-conditioning unit of the compressor in the cafeteria could have caused the accident.
It is worth mentioning here that the said building is also home to the offices of the CBI, National Disaster Response Force, and Enforcement Directorate headquarters.